Thank you all for your generous donations and contributions for our Physical Education Fund and making our 1st Annual Tiger Training Day Fitness Fair & Walkathon such a success. The kids, teachers, and parents had a great work out and thoroughly enjoyed all of the fitness stations including the run/walk/skip laps station, yoga, Zumba, jumprope, relays, soccer, and basketball. Good job everyone and special recognition to our sponsors.
Save the Date – Friday, June 1, 2012
Let’s raise funds to get our children a PE teacher – si se puede!
One More Week to Collect Pledges Due to Rain Out on May 25th
thank you – gracias – 谢谢 – cảm ơn – salamat – ขอขอบคุณคุณ – grazie – ありがとう – mahalo
Thank you for making your generous online credit card donation today. We really appreciate your support and help to make this happen.
Physical Education Fund – Background/Overview
Due to LAUSD budget cuts we have been without a PE teacher to offer our students for too many years to count. This situation is unfair and unacceptable to our young students, especially when they are at such a crucial stage in their physical development. Physical Education not only helps tremendously with endurance and coordination during a time when students’ bodies are growing and changing at dizzyingly rapid pace, but also helps fight serious health risks like childhood obesity and early on-set diabetes.
On top of that, while budget cuts have deprived us of our P.E. teacher, the state of California still mandates that our students perform standard physical tests for reports, necessitating our academic teachers to step in as pseudo PE teachers. Thus, they are robbed of critical group lesson planning time, which has proven to raise academic performance and test scores. Instead, they are stuck counting laps and jumping jacks in the schoolyard since none of them have a specific or extensive P.E. background with which to create a proper PE curriculum that is truly engaging. On the surface this situation is so ridiculous that it almost seems comical, but it is yielding disastrous results. The bottom line is, there is just no money to cover the salary of a PE teacher.
Thus, we have taken matters into our own hands and organized a group of volunteers who are now planning a school-wide Tiger Trot Walkathon & Fitness Fair to show the importance of fighting childhood obesity and diabetes as well as raising the money to fund our own Physical Education Instructor on Friday, June 1, 2012. Don’t forget your walking (or running) shoes!
We look forward to your support and participation on this special event. There will be a number of fitness stations, demonstrations, as well as a fun and friendly student competition with laps per grade. There will be booths, limited edition fashionable t-shirt sales, raffle tickets, bicycle prizes, and more.
Calling all Dorris Place Tigers and their families and friends…
It’s our first annual Fitness Fair & Walkathon to raise funds for Physical Education at Dorris Place. We are hosting a giant fundraiser at school with fun fitness stations for the kids. If every child raises $100 in hard eartned sweat for our school, we can reach our goal of $30,000 to pay for a Physical Education (P.E.) teacher/P.E. fund!
Since Dorris Place currently has no designated PE teacher, our regular classroom teachers are spending precious group lesson planning time to fulfill the school’s requirement to provide PE. A trained PE teacher would help our children learn about different kinds of sports like soccer and basketball, and have physical health and exercise as part of a specific curriculum. This would free up our teachers for important lesson planning work – which is a key factor in raising our children’s grades and test scores.
How do we do it?
- FILL OUT FORMS & GET PLEDGES from now until Friday, June 1, 2012 (deadline extended)!
- Set a goal of at least $100 raised per child.
- Reach out to your family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, local businesses, etc. to get pledges for your child to fulfill a full hour of physical activity during the Walkathon / Tiger Training Day!
- Fill out the form with your child’s information. The school’s address is on the form.
- Hand out, send mail, blast text, or email the form to your families, friends, all your contacts and have them include cash, a check, or money order (made out to Partners Of Dorris, or POD) and hand it into your child’s teacher or mail it directly to the school.
- You can also donate or have others donate through PayPal
- All donations are tax deductible. POD is a registered 501(c)3 non profit corporation, tax ID number 45-4319982
- Win Prizes based on how much $$$ your child earns for their school!
- You can also purchase Dorris Place T-Shirts in kids and adult sizes in the upcoming weeks to wear during the Walkathon / Tiger Training Day and all year long after!
- Purchase raffle tickets to win your child a brand new bicycle!
- Please Volunteer! Parents, we need 15 volunteers to run fitness stations, 4 volunteers to sell T-shirts, and 4 to handle the raffle.
- Kids, plan to walk, run, jump, throw, kick, stretch, and have a great time!
Form more information
Click on the links below for the flyer and pledge forms in English or Spanish
Dorris Place Fitness Flyer English
Dorris Place Fitness Flyer Spanish
Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for information on sponsorships, scheduling your demonstration, volunteer opportunities and making a donation. Thank you very much for your enthusiasm and support.